Virtual Volunteering Opportunities
Attention Teens! Looking for ways to volunteer? We have two virtual opportunities available for you.
*These volunteering opportunities are limited to high school students. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com *
Click here to fill out the HS Volunteer Application
Help clean up a local park!
September 20th & October 18th, 11am-1pm
Work with Ms. Pat to help clean up one of our local parks.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details/ to sign up if you are interested in this opportunity.
*All volunteers MUST WEAR A MASK AT ALL TIMES and adhere to social distancing guidelines.
Maximum Volunteers: 10 per session
In partnership with our Local History department, you have the opportunity to document and preserve your experiences during this time in history. Share what life is like during this time through journaling, photography, family interviews, recording your thoughts etc. Please keep in mind that safety is of utmost importance, so please practice safe social distancing if you do go outside.
For each submission, you can earn one hour of volunteering, for up to 3 total hours.
We are looking for YA book reviews! If you have been reading over the last few weeks and want to earn some hours. Take some time and create a book review. You can do this in video, audio, or written format. Be sure to include the following guidelines in your review:
- Title of book
- Author of book
- Number of pages
- Genre (fiction or nonfiction, and type: fantasy, science fiction, realistic, etc.)
- Is it part of a series? Yes/No
- Your best guess about reading level (i.e., middle school, high school, grades 7-9, mature, etc.) What grade you are in
- How you want to be credited (first name, initials, or anonymous)
- Describe what the book is about (plot, main characters, etc.). Don’t give an entire synopsis, as you would in a book report—this is more like a movie trailer, a teaser to make people want to read it. Especially don’t give away the ending, or any significant spoilers!!!
- Give your opinion of the book. This part of the review is not fulfilled by saying “It was awesome!” What did you like? What did you dislike? Why? What thoughts or feelings did the book inspire? To whom would you recommend the book? Remember, this isn’t a school assignment— it’s you, talking about a book you chose to read, and recommending it to your friends (or not).
Other things you could choose to comment on:
- The cover—did you like it or not, and why? Was it an accurate reflection of the contents?
- Indicate if this book is part of a series and, if so, whether you have read the rest of the series and would recommend it as well. (Again, no spoilers!)
- How would you rate this book, and why?
5 Hard to imagine a better book
4 Better than most
2 Needs more work—weak plot, poor writing, whatever
1 HOW did this book get published?
Reviews will be posted on the YA Tumblr page . For each submission, you can earn one hour of volunteering, for up to 3 total hours.
Contact your representatives!
Even if you’re not old enough to vote, you can still let your reps know what you think at every level of government.
Here are your representatives
Not sure what to say? Here are some issues that are trending:
- Gun control/Gun rights
- LGBT rights
- Reproductive rights
- National security
- Health Care
You can also talk about anything else that is important to You!
Not sure how to contact them? You can:
- Call (Check out 5calls.org )
- An email
- A postcard
- A Tweet
Please share a copy of your letter/or proof of your call in order to get service hours. You can get 1 hour of service per letter/call for a total of 3 hours. Please email email@example.com for more details.
Participate in the #WEWEREHERE Project
From the #WEWEREHERE Project Website:
“The #WeWereHere Project aims to create a repository of teen voices in the historic time of 2020. If you are a teen, we want to hear from you how this unprecedented year of great social upheaval and pandemic has affected you. If you are a librarian, you can learn how to help and join your library to the project here. If you are just an interested person, please spread this project, use the hashtag, and amplify youth voices locally. Now is the time to hear and more importantly listen to young people.”
If you are interested in this opportunity visit https://thewewerehereproject.org
for more details.
If you are interested in any of these opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Created by Izabel Gronski on
Apr 30th, 2020 @ 2:07 PM.
Updated on Sep 21st, 2020 @ 11:56 AM.